Autodesk Vault Workgroup and Professional are compatible with the cloud. These systems can be configured for Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services (AWS).
You cannot use Vault Basic in a cloud hosted environment. It is against the EULA as it is not a licensed product.
AWS and Azure are cloud computing platforms and infrastructure created by Amazon and Microsoft respectively for building, deploying, and managing vendor and/or customer-supplied applications, software and services through a global network of Amazon or Microsoft-managed data centers. AWS and Azure can allow you to have Windows-based servers to fit your needs housed in data canters around the world. As a result, the first step in deploying data management to the cloud is to contract with Amazon or Microsoft for Windows servers meeting the system requirements for Vault (including any required Microsoft SQL Server software).
Click here for Autodesk Vault server requirements.
In addition, customers can use AWS or Azure to provide other needed services such as data storage, network authentication, static VPN connections (in order to avoid use of the public Internet), enhanced backup capabilities and disaster recovery services, etc. via one of their data centers. Once the required infrastructure has been contracted from Amazon or Microsoft, your Vault, Meridian or Adept server software can be installed in the data center and made available to users at one of your offices, remote staff or trusted suppliers via the VPN services available from Amazon or Microsoft.
Other items needed to make a cloud-based data management implementation work include:
Data management client software such as:
- Vault Workgroup or Professional
- Fast Internet connections from user desktops to the cloud server with round trip ping times of 70-100ms or less for heavy users. Light or occasional users could work with slower connections if necessary.
Cloud-based data management is an option now and can provide the following customer benefits:
- Reduced internal IT infrastructure and overhead
- Allows small companies without IT staff to use more sophisticated servers and software and connect staff at separate locations easily
- Quick and easy temporary testing and training environments
- Improved ability for external collaboration
- Enhanced data backup security
- Quicker disaster recovery
If you would like to learn more about what cloud-based data management might be able to do for you and your organisation, don’t hesitate to let us know by clicking on the button below.
Alternatively, head over to our manufacturing content portal for webinars, tutorials and tips n tricks on Autodesk Vault.